Thursday, February 14, 2013

Week 34 & Day 4: Save A Baby

Save A Baby

We attended the last baby class we have registered.  It's is called "Save A Baby".  Basically, we learned how to CPR infant/children and what to do in situations such as chocking or drowning.  We decided to take this class pretty close to my due date because we believed this is one of the most important classes and didn't want to forget.  Last CPR class I took was at my previous work several years ago and my DH had never taken one, so I was glad we signed up for this class. 

One thing it really made me think is that there is no relief in raising a child.  Until the middle of the 2nd trimester, I was so caught up with this anxiety that something might happen to my baby in the uterus.  As my mind started preparing for the post delivery phase, I learned about SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) and other risks children can face throughout their lifetime.  Basically, a tragedy can happen and sometimes there is nothing you can do.  I heard that many parents are very worried about the first child, but their anxiety level tends to come down as they have more kids.  I know we cannot be worried about every little things for 24/7, but the CPR class made me think of my old neighbor's little girl.

There was a family with many kids across from our house in our old neighborhood.  I think some of them are from their previous marriage, so we couldn't tell who was whose, but there were always 4-5 kids in their driveway playing.  One morning, my DH was taking a shower and I was waking up but was still in the bed.  TV was on, so I could hear the news.  My mind wasn't fully awake yet but I jumped out my bed when I heard the news was talking about a death in my subdivision.  We couldn't get too much information where and what happened from the news, but we saw bunch of cars in front of the house across from us.  At work, I was checking online for more details and finally found out that one of our neighbor's little girl was drowned in a bathtub and passed away.  Looks like both the parents were at work when this happened.  A nanny was at home watching their little ones.  The nanny found the little girl unconscious in the bathroom and called 911.  She was taken to the nearest hospital, but it was too late..she didn't make it.  We were very sadden by this news and visited the family when we got home.  They had several relatives over at their house, but when I saw the parents, I couldn't stop crying and hugged the mom.  Nothing came out of my mouth other than "I am so sorry".  The mom said "I wish I didn't go into work that morning or could change something so that this didn't happen".  It's not her fault, but I couldn't imagine what kind of sorrow the family was going through.  The CPR class reminded me of this sad day, but I hope the family is staying strong and doing well.

OB Check @ Week 34                       

I had my OB appointment on Monday.  Everything was pretty much the same as 2 weeks ago and nothing new except I gained 3 pounds since!  My baby is doing well and I like that my OB seems me every 2 weeks.  It will be every week in a couple of weeks, wow!  She told me that they want to have NST (Non Stress Test) because I am over 35 and cervix check @ week 36.  She said she isn't worry about the baby's orientation until week 36.  Looks like the baby is still in the transverse or inclined position.  I cannot believe I will hit the full term after my next appointment!

Time for A Hospital Bag?

Luckily, I haven't had too much discomfort during sleeping yet.  However, I struggle with sleeping positions on Tuesday night and woke up little tired on Wednesday.  I usually feel the best when I wake up in the morning, but I felt different this morning.  I felt a cramp.  I stepped out of my bed and didn't feel good.  I felt a pressure around my cervix as I walked and was feeling a cramp.  I suddenly thought "Am I having a contraction???"  I think I have experienced several Braxton Hicks so far and I have read how a contraction feels like, but I wasn't sure.  The first thing it came to my mind was "Geees, I haven't packed my hospital bag!" 

I got dressed and went into work.  I felt better after sitting down on my chair and my cramp and the cervix pressure went away eventually, but this made me think that I should be a bit more prepared for a possible early labor.  Since my pregnancy has been progressing pretty normal, I assumed that I will make it until close to the due date, but how do I know that?!?  I want to pack my hospital bag this weekend and put a towel in my car in case my water breaks when I am not at home!  DH hardly ever travels but of course, he needs to travel twice for his work very close to the time when I am full term.  We should also discuss logistics who is gonna take care of our pets when we go to a hospital, etc. 

I just realized my next milestone 35/35 is around the corner, wow!                

No comments:

Post a Comment