Thursday, September 13, 2012

Week 12 & 4 Days: NT Scan

What is NT Scan?
A nuchal translucency (NT) scan is a screening test which assesses whether your baby is likely to have Down's syndrome. A screening test can only estimate the risk of your baby having Down's, whereas a diagnostic test, such as CVS or amniocentesis will give you a definite diagnosis. 
An NT measurement of up to 2mm is normal at about 11 weeks, and up to about 2.8mm by 13 weeks and six days.

This is an optional test, but I wanted to do it so I scheduled it.  The test consits of u/s and bloodwork.  I felt good hearing baby's HB last week but I was very very anxious to actually SEE how he/she is looking and doing!
OMG!!!!  It was beyond my expectation. The 15 minutes u/s was amazing, amazing and AMAZING!!!  The baby was jumping up/down, moving hands, kicking legs, etc.  I had two u/s so far @ week 5 & 8 at my RE office, but here was no movement except I saw the heat flickering.  I was completely mesmerized by this active baby and couldn't believe that this tiny baby is working really hard to grow bigger in my belly.  I saw the baby sucking his/her thumb and was so cute!!!!  The Sono tech captured a perfect u/s pic, so I need to post it here.  I completely forgot the real purpose for this test because of the u/s, but bloodwork put me back to the reality.  They only took 1 b/w sample and they will call me either this Friday or next Monday.  I am hoping to hear from them on Friday!
Can you see the baby sucking his/her thumb?
I was telling all the exciting u/s experience to my DH at dinner.  He is quite nervous about the test & result.  I am actually surprised because I am usually the chicken and concerned one.  For some reason, I am not worried or scared about the test result as much as he does.  I am not sure this is because of my motherly instinct or the fact we just attended a down syndrom's buddy walk past Sunday.  Our 2 neighbors have kids with downs, so we got invited to join their walk team.  The walk was full of positive energy and supports from family and friends!  We also volunteer at special olympics so we interact with kids with downs often.  They are so sweet and love to hug you!  It can be very hard for a family to deal with, but there is no way I could terminate the baby if I was diagnosed with one.  (It was shocking to hear from the neighbor that how so many people decide to pursue an abortion when they find out)  
Me Lately?             
Eating often is still the same.  I feel like the baby has a nasusea button and he presses it when he gets hungry!  I haven't felt really hungry for a while and I am scared to let myself be hungry.  I always carry small snack/cheese, etc in my purse just in case.  I used to love steak.  We just went to a very nice restaurant and I order fillet.  It came with a baked potato & MacNCheese.  Guess what, which one I couldn't stop eating???  Potato!!  I usually don't like potato, but it tasted like heaven.  Oh, bread is my savior.  This baby indeed loves carbs :P 
Belly hairs....gross!  It's so "sexy" but I am afraid to shave as they might come back thick!!
Sleeping....yes yes.  I am taking naps sometimes on the weekend.  During the weekdays, I am falling asleep on the couch around 10:30.
Dizziness:  I read about this sympson and I am getting more dizziness lately.     

This is an exicting week because we are telling DH family and close friends about our pregnancy news!  We are having a dinner @ Italian restaurant with the family on Friday.  I bought cards which I am going to give in-law and sister-in-law at dinner.  I am going to order a glass of wine to just pretend and before I take a sip, I am going to give this cards to them.  I am thinking to write something like "Congratulations. You are going to be a grandpa & grandma!  Please spoil your future grand kid :)".
Our friends might already know since they have seen me not drinking lately, but I am curious how they will react.  I am so ready for the weekend to come!!!       

No comments:

Post a Comment