Monday, October 22, 2012

Week 18 & 2 Days: First Prenatal Massage & First Kick (Maybe?)

I had an absolutely fantastic weekend.  We had a belated anniversary getaway and it was a surprise trip, so I had no idea where my DH was taking me to!  The destination was in western Kentucky called Barkley Lake.  The fall weather down there was mild (60-65F!) and the resort is surrounded by miles of trails.  Leaves were so colorful and we hiked hours everyday.

It was 5 hours+ away from our home, so we had plenty time to talk about our coming up future.  It was a really nice trip because we did talk a lot about us.  The theme of the 5 years wedding anniversary is "Wood", so he got me wooded themed gifts:  Bonsai, pine nut candle & wooden jewelry box :) Then.....he told me that he booked us massages!!

Prenatal Massage
Since towns nearby are relatively small, he couldn't book a couple massage, so we had to get a massage one by one.  Mine was a prenatal one and I was soooo excited about it!!!  The masseuse asked me if I was comfortable to have belly down and I said no, so I laid on the side.  She gave me a soft pillow between my legs for a comfort.  I have been sleeping on my sides with my snoogle for a while.  According to my OB, I should try sleeping on my sides after 20 weeks and avoid sleeping on my back for more than 8 hours.  I am getting used to it, but my shoulders were little stiff from sleeping on my sides, so when masseuse gave me shoulder massage, it was like a heaven!!  I usually like a massage with stronger pressure such as deep tissue massage, but moderate pressure for a prenatal massage was just perfect.  I can so get used to this!      

Google says...
Sleeping on your side is best while you're pregnant. In particular, sleeping on your left side may benefit your baby by improving blood flow – and therefore nutrients – to the placenta. It also helps your kidneys efficiently eliminate waste products and fluids from your body, which in turn reduces swelling in your ankles, feet, and hands.  When you're sleeping on your back, the weight of your uterus lies on the spine, back muscles, intestines, and major blood vessels.
     
First Kick/Tap????     
I know some girls already started feeling a baby movement as early as 16 weeks.  I have been paying attention lately and sometimes put my hands on my belly to see if I feel anything, but unfortunately, I haven't had this "flutter" everyone is taking about.  On this trip, my DH took me to a laser show at Planetarium.  The theme was Pink Floyd, "The Wall".  I have never seen a planetarium laser show so I was so excited!!!  During the show, I had both of my hands on my belly and I felt this "tap".  It was so subtle but I again felt the tap.  I am not sure if this was just my belly making some noise or what, but it put a huge smile on me.  Feeling a baby movement is such an exciting experience and it gives me a peace of mind that my LO is growing everyday :)    

No comments:

Post a Comment