Friday, June 29, 2012

CD 34: Pre Egg Retrival

I did my trigger shot last night around 8:30.  My nurse gave me a specific time for a trigger shot, which was different from a trigger shot from IUI.  I had to give myself a trigger shot b/w 6-10pm for IUI.

I was familier with Ovidrel from IUI, so this shot was piece of cake!

Then, I started thinking...."Why is a trigger shot necessary for IVF?"  I understand the reason for IUI.  The trigger shot can help move the matured eggs to fallopian tubes during targeted time.  For IVF, I thought RE would use a needle guided by a monitoring system to collect eggs directly from ovaries.  What is the point of a trigger shot then?  I googled it and here is what I found out:  The hCG trigger injection is a crucial point in your IVF.  Timing this is an important part of  success with IVF.  The hCG injection induces the final step of maturation of your eggs. It loosens the eggs attachments from the follicle wall and allows for proper timing of your egg retrieval.

We are also advised to have an uprotected sex last night.  My nurse said it helps my cervix to relax and soften.  I really need this because my HSG was so painful and my OBGY said my cervix was closed so she had to dilate....  My thought is....if sperm somehow got to an egg this time...

It's kind of strange, but I don't have the same bloated and sore feeling today.  However, if I push my left ovary, it give me a sharp pain.  My boobs are absolutely and insanely sore!!! 

We are taking it easy tonight and having a dinner & movie date night! 

Ovidrel Trigger Shot

No comments:

Post a Comment